Ice Cream Magic
- ½ Cup milk
- ½ Cup half and half
- ½ - 1 Tablespoon sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
- ½ Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 Tablespoons ice cream salt or kosher salt
- Gallon-sized zip top bag
- Quart or sandwich-sized zip top bag
- Mittens or gloves
- Fill the large bag half full of ice and add the salt.
- In the smaller bag add the milk, vanilla and sugar.
- Remove the extra air from the smaller bag and seal tightly. Double check the seal, as you want it totally closed so nothing leaks out.
- Place the small bag inside the large bag of ice and salt and seal it carefully.
- Put on your mittens and gently shake the mixture until it turns into a solid, approximately 5-10 minutes.
Want to make chocolate? Add a squirt of chocolate syrup before mixing. Add sprinkles or your favorite topping when your ice cream is finished and enjoy!
How does the magic happen? The salt causes the ice to melt. Water normally freezes at 32°F but a 10% salt solution freezes at 20°F. When the salt is added to ice, some of the ice melts because the freezing point is lowered. The heat that melts the ice comes from the surrounding environment. (Think air temperature, your hand shaking the bags). It causes the warmer milk mixture on the inside of the bag to move toward the outside of the bag so it can freeze.